Thursday, July 30, 2015

A Rare Wanderlust

This week I am vacationing in Cape Cod, so I have travel on my mind. I love seeing new places, but I'm a homebody at heart. I know that art looks different in person, and even though there is so much more historical art to be seen outside of North America, not much pushes me to travel overseas. But, the first time I saw pictures of the Apennine Colossus by Giambologna (Giovanni da Bologna), I knew I had to see it for myself. 

Image by lapsy
Built during the Mannerist era, this sculpture shows the combination of sculpture and landscape into a whimsical, new art form. Inspired by the Apennine mountain range, the figure personifies the rocky landscape as a man emerging from his earthly origins. The sculpture was built in a park to be enjoyed as a picnic area. 



The sculpture could be further explored because the rock giant was actually a grotto - an artificial cave meant for human use. Check out this article to see pictures of the interior chambers.  

Image by Raymundo JimĂ©nez
Just looking at pictures of this massive sculpture are impressive, so I can only imagine what actually standing next to this work of art must be like. If I ever venture to Italy, this will definitely be my first stop. 

Image via Provincia di Firenze
Click here to read more about the artist and his artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment